|I made a double batch this morning and decided to roll half|
of the doughnuts in cinnamon sugar and glaze the other half.
Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Makes 6 doughnuts and 4 - 6 mini muffins (doughnut holes!)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup finely shredded carrot (about one small carrot)
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease the doughnut pan and mini muffin pan if you are using it.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir the shredded carrot into the flour mixture, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, oil and buttermilk until foamy.
- Pour the liquid ingredients all at once into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fill each doughnut form half full. I typically use a pastry bag to do this. Use any remaining batter to make mini muffins.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 to 12 minutes. When done, they'll spring back when touched lightly.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, remove them from the pan.
- While they are still warm, roll them in cinnamon sugar or dip them in glaze.
Yummy doughnut glaze
(from Pinch of Yum)
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 - 2 TBSP milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Melt the butter and brown sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add milk.
- Return to burner and stir in powdered sugar - I typically turn the heat down to it's lowest setting to do this. Add a little more milk if the glaze seems too thick. I swear it never seems to come out the same way twice.
- Dip the doughnuts in the warm glaze and then set on a rack. The glaze will harden almost immediately.