Thursday, September 30, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner


Today has been a long day in the middle of a long week. As I drove home, I couldn't imagine being able to muster up the energy to make a pot of chili, which is what our menu says for tonight. So when I got home, I asked the kids if they were in the mood to have breakfast for dinner. They get a kick out of eating cereal and eggs in the evening so they were happy with the suggestion. While Nina ate scrambled eggs and Rita filled herself with cheerios, I made my own dinner. 

Breakfast foods are what I crave when I want comfort food and this was just what I needed to restore my equilibrium tonight. I minced some onion and garlic and started them in olive oil in a skillet while I shredded and rinsed a big bunch of kale and Swiss chard from my farm share. I threw the wet greens in with the onions and garlic and then added some chicken stock, a little coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, and covered it to let it cook down. With the greens underway, I fried a farm-fresh egg over-easy (these are incredible eggs, a gift from chicken-raising friend, writer BJ Roche). Finally, I toasted up an English muffin and slathered it with butter. I served the egg over the greens and dotted the top with Sriracha chili sauce. When I cut into the egg with the side of my fork, the perfect, bright yellow yolk just oozed out over the greens. I was in heaven.

I know this is no one's idea of "cuisine," but for me this is one of the most satisfying meals that could land on my kitchen table. I am almost revived enough to make that pot of chili for tomorrow's dinner.

2 comments:

  1. good thinking. i've always wondered why American limit eggs to the breakfast category.

    ReplyDelete